Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

Simply Simple Syrup


I love simple syrups. I use them for tea, for cocktails, for flavoring in sparkling water and I generally have several flavors at the ready. Some I enjoy on their own while others I combine to create more complexity in my drink of choice. Be creative, get inspired and enjoy a refreshing beverage of your own on a hot summer day!

You can make a Light Syrup with a 2:1 ratio (2 water/ 1 sugar)
A Simple Syrup with a 1:1 ratio
Or a Rich Syrup with a 1:2 ratio (1 water/2 sugar) – also called Bar Syrup

Lavender
1 Tbsp.
Chamomile
2 Tbsp
Rosemary
4+ sprigs of fresh (or 1 Tbsp dried)

My basic recipe is the following (for a light syrup and of course adjust accordingly it you prefer sweeter):

1 cup filtered water
½ cup cane sugar
Leave plain or add flavoring (in the amounts indicated above).

Bring water and flavoring to a boil, reduce heat and add sugar. Simmer until sugar is melted and flavors have married (I usually let it go for about 10 minutes). Let cool, strain, bottle and refrigerate.

I love using the rosemary syrup with lemonade (a sprig of fresh rosemary makes a beautiful garnish). Chamomile is perfect with soda water (you can add a bit of milk or cream to make your own Italian style soda) and lavender is a favorite in my morning cup of Earl Grey tea. How would you enjoy using them?

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post?? This is fantastic! I've been reading about flavored sugars, flavored waters, and other things like that lately and flavored syrups never even occurred to me. I'm definitely going to do this. I've started drinking my black tea without any milk and I think experimenting with flavored syrups, instead of a spoon of sugar, is a rad idea.

    ReplyDelete